When it comes to practicing shooting, blowback guns are the way to go. A blowback air pistol, compared to a non-blowback air pistol, is heavier in weight. This weight and other features such as the feel and looks give you a more realistic practice gun.
If you are looking for the best blowback air pistol, you need to look for a few distinct features. Good mechanics and control are only a few of the features, amongst many, that you should be looking for.
Buying the right blowback gun can be tough. To help you find the right product, we have narrowed down a few options for you here.
Reviews of the 7 Best Blowback Air Pistol
Because they’re so easy to practice with, blowback air pistols are now widely available in the market. Choosing just one from the array of options you have can become difficult. This is where we step in to help you out.
We have made this review considering the power, accuracy, reliability, and feature of an air rifle.
Take a look at these few options that are truly worth your money.
1. Umarex Beretta MOD. 84FS Compact Blowback
- All features combine to give you better blowback action
- Easy to operate; Great for beginners who want to practice
- These air pistols can shoot 177 steel BB’s with 360 FPS speed
- The magazine can hold 17 BBs
- It comes with the fixed front sight and fixed rear sights
- Can accommodate and operate on 12g CO2 cartridge
The main reason people invest in blowback air guns is that they look like real guns. This one from Umarex is the best blowback air pistol to get if you are looking for something that looks like the real deal.
Besides looking real, this unit also has a hefty weight. It’s not flimsy and lightweight. Therefore you get an overall better blowback action with the Umarex Beretta Mod.
The magazine on the co2 rifle and pistol unit is removable and can hold up to 17 BBs. It can also accommodate a 12-gram CO2 cartridge.
Like the Umarex Beretta, an air pistol that fits in the hands easily is easy to carry and operate.
This air pistol can shoot .177 steel BBs at up to 360 FPS speed when it comes to speed. So this can easily be labeled as the best blowback BB gun pistol for high speed.
- High-quality durable construction
- Has a realistic wait for a better feel
- Magazine is removable
- Comes with fixed rear sights for accuracy
- Both rear end front sights are fixed
- Compact design for ease of carrying
- Excellent for target shooting
- Does not come with CO2 for the 12 gm CO2 cartridge
2. Colt Commander Blowback .177 BB Gun Air Pistol
- The magazine can hold up to 18 .177 BB’s
- Comes with a drop-free type magazine
- Powered by a CO2 cartridge
- Comes with full metal frame
- Waze only 1.17 lb
- Adjustable rear sight
- A 4.5 caliber realistic looking at the bb air pistol
When it comes to selecting a blowback air pistol for practicing, there are many more features that you need to look for, except for the realistic-looking part.
This Colt blowback air pistol has it all. The unit looks realistic and reliable. But it also has other features such as an adjustable tactical sight.
With that, you also get a manual grip with this safety that looks and feels very authentic with this colt commander gun. The commander-style hammer, too, is a great feature to have in Blowback pellet air pistols.
Also, I like the build quality of the gun. The full metal construction ensures better stability and durability for long-term uses. The full metal body of this Umarex colt commander pistol also gives a professional feeling when you hold this pistol in your hand.
The magazine on this pellet pistol is a drop-free kind. It can hold 18 177 caliber shoot bbs. With a metal slide and metal frame, bbs guarantee better accuracy and an adjustable rear sight with this bb air pistol.
Powered by a CO2 cartridge, the Colt blowback air pistol is quite easy to maintain. CO2 cartridges are economical and easy to access.
- Best blowback air pistol for beginners
- Affordable to use and maintain with 177 caliber
- Comes with a commander style hammer
- Comes with full metal body
- Good accuracy with the adjustable rear sight
- Manual grip safety looks quite authentic
- Shoots bbs with good reliability
- Tactical sights are adjustable
- Sometimes steel BBs jam inside the mag
3. Glock 19X Gen5 .177 Caliber BB Gun Air Pistol
- Powered by a 12 gm CO2 capsule
- Has a polymer frame and metal slide
- 7.48 inches in length
- Gives approximately 60 shots per CO2 capsule
- Comes with a stick type magazine
- Can operate 177 caliber pellet well
Safety is surely one of the main features you should be looking for when buying a blowback air pistol. Thankfully this Glock 19x blowback air pistol from Umarex has a trigger safety. Therefore no matter how inexperienced you are with a pistol, you can be trusted with this model.
Therefore unless and until you de-press the central bar, there’s no possibility of the gun misfiring or firing on its own.
What makes this one of the most powerful air pistol options for beginners?
The power coming with this air pellet rifle is good enough for shooting small targets and self-defense. It can with 177 pellets for as many as 60 bullets per capsule, making it one of the best air pistol options available in the market.
The trigger on this Umarex model weighs about 9 lb. This can make practice shooting quite fun as it gives you the feeling of shooting with a real gun.
With this airsoft pistol, you can also add 177 caliber steel ammo for shooting. Powered by a 12-gram CO2 capsule, you’ll easily be able to refill its tank and use it.
- CO2 Powered tank is affordable to refill
- One of the safest ones on this Blowback air pistol reviews
- Trigger weighs 9 pounds with this co2 air pistol
- These powerful air pistols are easier to use
- Can be used with steel ammo
Best for small game hunting
- Magazine is capable of shooting about 10 rounds
- Not hefty, so it might not feel like a real gun
4. Umarex Legends M712 Blowback Air Pistol
- Semi-auto fire gives 55 shots
- Muzzle velocity ranges from 335 to 345 fps
- This pellet gun has a powder coat finish
- Great replica of the Mauser model 1932
- Comes with Fixed front sight
- Available at a very affordable price
With this Umarex Legends m712 blowback air pistol, you get both a realistic appearance and a realistic operation.
We say this because there are semi-auto and full-auto fire options on this air pistol. These pellet guns, baby pistols will surely give you a run for your money. One of the most affordable models on our Blowback air pistol reviews.
You get about 180 useful shots with these bb guns per fill. So the episode is easy to use for long hours of practicing.
Umarex is a brand that can almost always successfully replicate popular guns in the bb gun sector and pellet guns. This 177 caliber air pistol one, too, is no exception. It’s a great replica of the Mauser model 1932!
When used with Umarex steel BBs, this can be the Most accurate blowback bb pistol. Even when shot from a 10-yard distance, you can expect this air pistol to shoot accurately.
- Did highly accurate shots when used with steel Umarex BBs
- This pellet gun has a great shot count
- Very easy to load BBs for efficient shooting
- Gives 180 shots per fill with max velocity
- Capacity is good enough
- Can be used in semi-auto and full-auto settings
- Uses a lot of CO2, so you’ll always have to have backup
5. Elite Force HK Heckler & Koch USP CO2 Powered BB Pistol
- Comes with an 18 round magazine
- Works with 6 mm plastic bbs
- Can’t shoot at 350 FPS
- Accessory rail added for customization
- Six calibers, 2.15 lbs weighing BB pistol
The elite Force HK heckler is a semi-automatic pistol from Umarex. This one is mainly known for having the capability to shoot fast and accurately during any situation.
It has a textured grip to help make this pistol look even more realistic. With the addition of the heckler and Koch trademark on the side, this pistol is a must-Have for any gun collector.
The design is quite ergonomic and can be used for practicing shooting at a beginner level. Because this is a semi-auto pistol, you can make quick shots. It is the Best airsoft blowback pistol for use with Plastic BBs.
Made with a polymer frame and Aluminum slide, the elite Force HK does not compromise quality.
- Textured grip and heckler and Koch trademark on the side makes it look realistic
- Aluminum slide and polymer frame ensures durability
- Beginners can easily use the unit with plastic BBs
- Maintains accuracy and speed in any kind of situation
- Great cost to value ratio
- Some users have complained about the CO2 valve leaking
6. Sig Sauer P365 CO2 Blowback Airgun Pistol
- Comes with CO2 drop style 12 round magazine
- Manual safety is ambidextrous
- 4.5 mm steel BB caliber
- Sights are fixed on the pistol
- Comes with 3-dot fixed sights
- Metal blowback slide added for a realistic feel
The Sig Sauer blowback air pistol is an award-winning model. It is quite well alone for being used for practicing concealed carry firearms.
Because the high-viz fixed sight 3 dot design gives you faster shooting and acquisition, you get to go practice and build your shooting skills much better.
This air gun pistol has an ambidextrous manual safety to cater to all kinds of customer demands. This manual safety comes together with the blowback slide to help replicate the full p365. The better the replication of a gun, the better you will be prepared to shoot with a real gun.
Muzzle velocity on the air pistols stands at 295 fps. It’s a 5.75-inch air pistol that weighs about 0.8 lbs.
- Award-winning model for practicing shooting
- 5.75 inches lightweight 0.8 lbs air pistol; easy to operate
- A great replication of the full P365
- Has a muzzle velocity of 395 fps
- 3 dot high-viz sight design allows faster shooting
- Disassembled parts are hard to put back together
7. Umarex Beretta M9A3 Blowback Full-Auto .177
- Tactical sights in the rear and front are fixed in position
- Added integrated rail helps you add accessories
- Made with a tough polymer construction
- Capable of shooting in both semi-auto and Full-Auto modes
- 330 fps speed
- It can be switched to semi and full auto mode
- It comes with a full blowback feature
With a shooting speed of 330 fps, the Umarex Beretta M9A3 blowback air pistol can be a great buy for both practicing and scaring off animals.
You can use .177 steel caliber BBs with this model. The CO2 cartridge, just like all the other top-quality air pistols on the list, is 12-gram and can be refilled easily.
These BB guns stand out from the others because of the moderate speed and tough construction quality that ensure better accuracy.
Being one of the best air pistols, the polymer frame is tough and withstand regular use. You can use the unit in both semi-auto and Full-Auto modes.
One fun feature is that you can store the blowback BB gun perfectly on a holster made for the real M9A3!
- These bb guns fit a holster made for real M9A3
- 18 round, full size, drop freestyle magazine
- These BB air pistols come with ambidextrous safety
- Great for training muscle memory
- Has a realistic blowback action to help prepare you for the real deal
- It cannot be used with shoots pellets, only BBs
Buying Guide for Best Blowback Air Pistol
The main concern when buying a product is to get a great deal. Here are some points which will help you select the perfect air pistol for you.
Type of Air Pistols
Before you start looking for an air pistol, you first need to decide which type of air pistol you want to buy. There are several air pistols in the market, and people choose the type depending on their preference. The types include:
• Spring Powered Pellet Pistol
Spring-powered air pistols use spring to shoot. The spring is squeezed, and the spring is released when you pull the trigger. This type of air pistol is very popular. However, there is both good and bad side to this type.
The good side is the price; it is very reasonably priced and usually requires very little maintenance. But this gun needs to be handled by professionals due to the recoil. It can get difficult for an unskilled person to manage it.
• CO2 Powered BB Pistols/Pellet Pistols
This type of airsoft gun is powered by carbon dioxide gas. This type has a rotary magazine and lets you shoot multiple shots. Therefore it is very good for quick shooting. But this type is not ideal for you if you are on a budget.
If you plan to use it regularly, this type of air pistol can prove to be very expensive e for you. The biggest drawback is that this type is weather sensitive. In cold weather, the CO2-powered air pistols jam up.
But, you’re looking for the most powerful blowback air pistol for beginner’s level shooting practice, you could try out a CO2-powered one to see if shooting is something that you’d be interested in. The best pellet pistol with co2 will have some shorts of power and accuracy.
• PCP (pre-charged pneumatic)
PCP air pistol uses compressed air pressure to power up the pistol. This compressed air is stored in a tiny tank underneath the rifled barrel and released when you pull the trigger.
It is the lightest amongst all the other types, and the best part is that this type does not have recoil. This PCP can work with both pellets and bbs with better accuracy.
However, it is quite expensive. Even a beginner-level PCP air rifle is pretty pricey. Also, you will need additional accessories to charge the PCP pistol.
This is an important factor to consider while looking for air pistols. If you are into close-range shooting, you can go for something with less range. CO2 pistols are ideal for covering a range of 20 to 35 yards.
If you want a longer range, then go for PCP pistols. They have the longest range in this category. It can easily hit a target that is 60 yards away.
A lot of air pistol enthusiasts struggle with the trigger. Usually, most air guns have a trigger pull of 3 pounds. So if you do not like the full force of the trigger, you can simply adjust it. But not everyone prefers it to be like that. That’s why to look for something which can be adjusted.
Normally most air guns have adjustable triggers. This allows the user to adjust the pull force of the trigger. You can tune the pull force and bring it down to 1 pound. But if you want less than that, you can simply take it to a gun shop and get it tuned.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the most powerful blowback air pistol?
To be honest, in the case of air pistols, power is the most important factor. The power of the pistol makes it desirable to many gun enthusiasts.
You will have a longer shooting range with a powerful air pistol with more power. You can easily hit a target that is far away. In the world of shooting, your skill is defined by how you hit the target from the furthest distance.
This can only be achieved with a powerful gun. Gamo PT-85 is considered the most powerful blowback air pistol by many professionals. They prefer this pistol over all other pistols because it can meet all the requirements as mentioned earlier.
2. What’s better, blowback or non-blowback?
Recoil is a very big factor when getting an air pistol. Many beginners dislocated their shoulders due to the recoil from the guns or air pistols.
The main difference between blowback and non-blowback is the recoil. Blowback has recoil, and non-blowback does not have recoil. This is because bb and pellet guns do not give much importance to the recoil force when making the pistol purchase.
Many beginners struggle with blowback guns due to the recoil. They miss the target as they cannot keep the gun steady. That is why non-blowback guns are considered to be better. They have no recoil, so you can shoot more accurately without considering recoil force.
3. Are blowback pistols more accurate?
You need to consider many things to determine the accuracy of the air pistols. The main things to consider are the internal functions and external functions. Internal functions are in the design of the gun.
The way it is made, the material it is made with, and how it functions. Many pistols have unfixed barrels, which makes it a bit inaccurate. If the barrel is fixed, that possibility is out of the question. A smooth bore steel barrel gives better accuracy whether break barrel pistols or guns without a break barrel option.
Blowback pistols usually have a fixed barrel, so we can say that it is pretty accurate. But due to external functions like recoil, the aiming might get a bit inaccurate
4. Is an air gun good for self-defense?
Air guns are mostly sued for killing small to medium-sized animals. These animals have a fewer mass, so the pellet can pierce the animal. If you try to kill a large animal with it, you will not be successful.
The pellet will simply not pierce the skin from the pellet pistol. It will feel like rubber bullets to them. They will get hurt or gravely injured, but it will not kill them.
When you use it for self-defense, slight injuries will only worsen the situation. You might not be able to injure or stop the attacker from still attacking you. The air gun will only be able to scare off some attackers. That is why it is recommended by the expert to get the real gun for self-defense.
Blowback Vs. Non-Blowback Air Pistol
The choice between blowback and non-blowback air pistols can be very difficult sometimes. It can be quite confusing and can result in you ending up buying the wrong gun for your needs. Here is a detailed explanation that will help you make the right purchase.
Blowback Pellet Pistol and BB Pistol
Some pistols have recoil. This means when you fire the gun, there will be a backward force. Some people enjoy the feeling. They cannot imagine shooting without the recoil feeling. This is not a .22 pellet air rifle with a long barrel, but a pistol, so it is quite normal.
However, due to this blowback, many have injured themselves. They dislocated their shoulder or got a broken nose. Some even complain that recoils make the gun less accurate. Due to the force, they miss the target.
You can get a blowback gun if you think you will like the recoil feeling for target practice. If you are used to it or an expert, then blowback s is the right choice for you. The recoil force can be difficult to handle, but you will soon get used to it.
These pistols are the complete opposite of blowback guns. While the blowback pistols have recoil, these do not. Shooting with these guns is smooth. You can get it if you don’t like the feeling of recoil or if you are a beginner.
But these pistols do not have fixed steel barrel-like blowback ones, which makes them a bit inaccurate even without the recoil.
Air pistols are brilliant and versatile weapons. Whether it is for hunting or pest control, blowback air pistols are at the top of the game. Although we have provided you with everything you need to know, the final choice is yours to make.
While you are researching, keep in mind why you want to buy the gun.
It’s not about finding the best blowback air pistol in the market; and it’s about finding the right blowback pistol for you. Match your requirements with the features and price of the pistol and get the one that you think is a perfect fit for you. Having a clear motive always ensures a correct purchase.